Today Djurö is best known as the lighthouse island in lake Vänern.
About the activity
The first lighthouse was built in 1874. However, it is believed that the north part of the island has been used for lighting fires to warn passing boats for dangerous reefs for hundreds of years before the lighthouse was built. The old lighthouse was replaced by the one in Malbergshamn in 1912.